KAS (Prelims) Exam Pattern : The Preliminary Examination shall consist of two papers of objective type (multiple choice).
(i) Each paper carrying 100 Questions with each question carrying two marks.
(ii) Each paper shall be of a maximum of 200 marks and a duration of two hours (Total for two papers 400 Marks) in the following description, namely:-
No. of Questions
|1||General Studies related to National and International importance||40||80|
PAPER – II
|1||General Studies related to State Importance||40||80|
|2||General Science and Technology, Environment and Ecology||30||60|
|3||General Mental Ability||30||60|
The question paper shall be set both in Kannada and English.
- The standard of General Mental Ability questions of preliminary examination (aptitude test) shall be that of X/SSLC level and the remaining papers are that of Degree Level
- Negative Evaluation : As per Karnataka Recruitment of Gazetted Probationers there shall be negative marking for in correct answers .
There are four alternative answers to every question.
For each question, of which a wrong answer has been given by the candidate, one
fourth (0.25) of the marks assigned to that question shall be deducted as penalty.
If a candidate gives more than one answer to a question, it shall be treated as a wrong answer evenif one of the given answers happen to be correct and there
shall be same penalty in accordance with clause.
If a question is left blank i.e. no answer is given by the candidate,there shall be no penalty for that question.
KAS (Main) Exam Pattern : Descriptive Type questions
KAS (Main) Exam contains 8 papers carrying 2100 marks.
• Paper – I : Compulsory Kannada – 150 Marks
• Paper – II : Compulsory English – 150 Marks
• Paper – III : General Studies (Paper – I) – 300 Marks
• Paper – IV : General Studies (Paper – II) – 300 Marks
• Paper – V, VI, VII & VIII : Out of 30 elective subjects two subjects should be selected.
Each subject contains two papers carrying 300 marks each.
Elective Subjects : (Subject Code : Elective Subjects)
1. Agriculture, Sericulture, Agricultural Marketing And Co-Operation
2. Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Sciences And Fisheries
5. Civil Engineering
6. Commerce, Accounting:, Business Organization & Secretarial Practice:
8. Economics, Karnataka Economy
9. Electrical Engineering
14. Mechanical Engineering
18. Political Science And International Relations
20. Public Administration.
24. Rural Development & Co-operation
27. Urdu Syllabus
The subjects are grouped and candidates should not take more than one subject from each single group. The Elective subject groups are as follows.
• Political Science & International Relations / Public Administration
• Commerce & Accountancy / Management
• Anthropology / Sociology
• Mathematics / Statistics
• Agriculture, Sericulture, Agricultural Marketing And Co-Operation / Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Sciences And Fisheries
• Civil Engineering / Electrical Engineering / Mechanical Engineering
• Economics / Rural Development& Co-operation
• Agriculture, Sericulture, Agricultural Marketing And Co-Operation / Rural Development& Co-operation
• Hindi / Urdu / Kannada / English Languages
Candidates need to take two elective subjects. According to new exam pattern candidates should not take more than one subject from the groups mentioned above. For. E.g Candidates cannot take both Anthropology & Sociology as their electives. They can choose any one subject. Sociology or Anthropology with some other subject like History.